Could podcasting be the new visual marketing for businesses?
I know… you’re wondering if you’ve read that correctly. Podcasting and visual marketing, could they really work together? Absolutely!
Podcasting has taken over as a huge marketing strategy and the percentage of Americans who have listened to a podcast in 2014 to 2015 has almost doubled, according to Pew Research Center.
People love to hear an array of genres such as: business, marketing, startup, comedy, and lifestyle. The most popular podcast at the moment is This American Life.
What’s podcasting have to do with visual marketing?
A lot! How many times have you gone to iTunes and see those tiny little podcast squares with titles?
As a podcaster, you have a minimum of 1,400 X 1,400 pixels and that doesn’t give you a whole lot of space. It’s really your first impression on what your podcast will be about. The cover art is SUPER important as a visual marketing aspect.
Since podcasting has been so crazy pumped for business owners, you have to stand out from the crowd even more. You not only have to worry about iTunes, but in all the other areas such as: Stitcher, your own website, and social media posts.
Keeping your cover art and your episode art visually appealing will help to have others click to learn more about your podcast and hopefully subscribe to your podcast. These are visual marketing must-haves!
The episode art is important especially for social media. You have to be consistent with the type of images you’d like to display according to your topics.
Here are some tips:
- Now if you have guests on your podcast show, please have the guest’s photo on the image. People love to put the face to the voice!
- You can use your branded colors to accent your episode art image.
- Put the episode number and name on the image.
- Keep your podcast art in a horizontal layout so you can easily have it shared on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. (Example shown below)
- Update the art into a vertical layout if you want it to be shared on Google+ and Pinterest.
(Example shown below)
Notice the different styles for both of the images however they are consistent throughout each episode with the font, colors, logo, and guest photo.
Podcasting can definitely be a source of visual marketing if you play it right. Right?!
How can I create the podcasting images?
You can use Canva, of course! Canva has the set dimensions for social media and blog titles. You can use their set dimensions and create a template. This will make creating each episode image amazingly simple.
For the thumbnail cover art, you can use the custom dimension and use the space wisely to convey what your podcast is about.
Closing Thoughts on Visual Marketing Must-Haves for Podcasting
If you’re looking to venture into the podcasting realm with your business, take your image into account. The small thumbnail images to the social media images make a difference. Think about your audience when creating your images.
People tend to use a microphone on the image but be unique from the crowd. Have your podcast name and branded colors or an image that will stand out from the iTunes thumbnails.
Lillian De Jesus
Latest posts by Lillian De Jesus (see all)
- A Social Media Marketing Tool for Sharing Visuals – ViralTag (An In-Depth Review) - February 15, 2017
- Time to Kick Off the New Year with Inspiration - January 20, 2017
- How to Make GIFs for Visual Marketing - October 3, 2016